The church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary, which is found in the old town, was erected between the 10th and the 11th century on the ruins of an old Cristian basilica church. The order (way of building of the church) is trikliti (triforium) basilica of mixed type and the intermediate klitos (aisle) of the narthex and the trivilo rise high and are lit.
The outer narthex was added in the 16th century. In the southern wall we can find a lot of ancient parts of bas- reliefs (rodakes, representations wrought in relief, signs, capes etc.), surrounded by a wall externally.
Also there is an old Cristian sculpture with a vine-shoot.
From the sculpture decoration of the Byzantine basilica, the oldest one is the marble kivorio (tomb) of the Holy Altar found in the Sanctuary. The marble pulpit which is unique in Greece, imposingly rising at the center of the intermediate klitos in front of the Holy Gate, is of special interests. It has been reconstructed to its biggest part with architectural parts of the old pulpit.
The murals of the church date back to the 12th century until 16th century and are of exceptional interest.
A lot of murals were created in 1573 by priest Kyriazis and by Neofytos, son of the eminent painter Theofanis from Crete.
The most important of the temple’s portable pictures is the one painted on both sides, portraying the Assumption of Virgin Mary on the one side and the Christ’s Crucifixion on the other.
Having been separated in two, after its theft and restoration, the picture is now kept in the Varlaam Monastery of the Meteora.
The wood carved iconostasis of the church belongs to the appreciable work of the post Byzantine wood carving, and it was created during the 17th century.
Part of a mosaic flooring has also been revealed in a little depth on the front left part of the main temple.
As we enter the temple, the golden bull of the Emperor Andronikos C’ Paleologos 1336 which determined the borders of the Bishopric of Stagoi and granted privileges, as well as the sigilia (the patriarch’s edict) of the Ecumenical Patriarch Antonios D’ (1393), with which the privileges of the Bishopric of Stagoi granted by various emperors of Byzantium were renewed are written with capital letters writing, on the northern wall of the inner narthex.
The church’s bell tower is also impressive and imposing and can be found in the northern side of the entrance to the precinct of the church.
source: “METEORA : MONUMENTS OF WORLD CULTURAL HERITAGE , 2ND EDITION”
TEL: +30 24320 78455
MOB: +30 697 3271798
FAX: +30 24320 78457
32 Trikalon Str. - Riga Feraiou Square
42200 , Meteora - Kalabaka , Greece